Cookie Consent by
it's ok


Where to get support on campus

By jhobson 16 Aug 2022

Moving to University can be an overwhelming experience and it's normal to feel stressed from time to time. 

University of Leicester has plenty of support options available should you need additional support during your time at university. 

Counselling and Wellbeing

Our Student Counselling Service offers a wide range of free and confidential services to any students who need them – including individual counselling, therapeutic group sessions, a well-stocked resource library and workshops covering issues such as exam stress. We encourage you to get in contact with us before you arrive so that we can make preparations in advance, however you can, of course, access the service at any time during your time at Leicester. You can come in and make an appointment in person in the Charles Wilson Building reception or book an appointment online.

Residence Life Support

Our Residential Advisers (RAs) in your halls and the residential managers are specially trained in student support and signposting to university and community services that are best placed to help you. If you are unsure what to do or need a chat with a member of our team about a problem you are having, drop in to your site reception or get in touch with us:

Report & Support 

Are you worried about a friend, a flatmate, a course mate or just someone you see regularly? For instance, have you been noticing someone’s behaviour changing that is worrying you, or maybe you think someone needs support but you don’t know how to help them?

You are able to let us know about something that has happened to you or someone you know, either anonymously or by leaving your contact email, by answering the questions on the reporting system at or by emailing to report your concern and to receive support from our designated safeguarding officers.

Students' Union Advice Service

Whether it’s course-related, queries with accommodation or personal problems - the Students' Union can give you invaluable, confidential and impartial advice. What's more, it's free! Independent of the University, they will listen, consider your circumstances and advise you on the best route to take.


Samaritans is a charity aimed at providing support to anyone in emotional distress, struggling to cope, or at risk of suicide throughout the United Kingdom. They offer a safe place for you to talk any time you like, in your own way – about whatever’s getting to you. You don’t have to be suicidal.

Speak to your GP

If you've noticed changes in the way you are thinking or feeling that concern you or cause you distress, you should consider going to see your GP. It can be daunting to speak to someone that you may not know well about your mental health, but most people find that speaking to their GP and the help and support they receive from them, can make all the difference.

You can contact your GP surgery directly to make an appointment. Most students at the University of Leicester will choose to register with Victoria Park Health Centre next to the university campus.

jhobson profile picture

jhobson Communications and Engagement Assistant for the University of Leicester. Get in touch with our Communications Team by emailing
View All Posts


wellbeing, support,